- It looks like moving City Hall out of a group of trailers along U.S. 1 will be the Marathon City Council's primary infrastructure project in the coming months.
- Life would be easier if Key West and Tallahassee were not separated by a 12-hour drive, former state Rep. Ron Saunders said Friday, days after ending his second stint in the Florida Legislature. "I'm still deciding where to spend most of my time now," said Saunders, 58.
"I'm from the Keys and have a lot of good contacts here," he said. "But I've also got contacts in Tallahassee. I'll probably wind up trying to split time between both."
- An allegedly drunk Miami-Dade man claiming ties to former Colombian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar was jailed early Friday morning on a litany of charges -- including offering a deputy sheriff $30,000 to "reduce the results of the breath test."
John Chaney, 64, of Kendall was pulled over at mile marker 37 around 2:30 a.m. after Deputy Juan Martin-Reyes spotted his black 2008 Hummer H2 traveling between 90 mph and 110 mph in the National Key Deer Refuge, where the speed limit on U.S. 1 is 35 mph.
- Cheeca Lodge and Spa’s general manager said last weekend’s All American Backcountry Fishing Tournament signaled the return of fishing as the heart of the iconic Islamorada hotel.
- A little bit of wind greeted anglers heading out on the local waters this past week, but the fishing was good for those who got out.
- In March 2011, Gunnery Sgt. Brian Meyer was in Afghanistan on his third combat tour with the U.S. Marine Corps. It would be his last.
- For a listing of home and condo sales in the Florida Keys for the period Nov. 4 through Nov. 10, click here:
- Late last year, environmentalists and federal, state and local officials awaited with some trepidation the arrival of a giant, semi-submersible oil rig that would mine for crude miles below the deep waters of the Florida Straits.
- AT&T has expanded its 4G LTE network in the Florida Keys, bringing more customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. Coverage now includes parts of Big Pine Key and the Lower Keys, Marathon, Islamorada and Key Largo.*****Kevin Dayhoff Soundtrack: http://kevindayhoff.blogspot.com/ = http://www.kevindayhoff.net/ Kevin Dayhoff Art: http://kevindayhoffart.blogspot.com/ or http://kevindayhoffart.com/ = http://www.kevindayhoff.com/ Kevin Dayhoff Westminster: http://kevindayhoffwestgov-net.blogspot.com/ or http://www.westgov.net/ = www.kevindayhoff.org Twitter: https://twitter.com/kevindayhoff Twitpic: http://twitpic.com/photos/kevindayhoff Kevin Dayhoff's The New Bedford Herald: http://kbetrue.livejournal.com/ = www.newbedfordherald.net Explore Carroll: www.explorecarroll.com The Tentacle: www.thetentacle.com