7 Squadron - RAF Special Forces Flight Read much more: http://www.eliteukforces.info/air-support/7-Squadron/
- Insertion and extraction of special forces men and vehicles/boats
(at land or at sea)
- counter terrorism operations
(typically fast-roping SAS/SBS teams onto their objectives)
- resupply of special forces
(often deep behind enemy lines)
7 Squadron Operations
- 1983 - Chinooks from 7 Squadron, operating from Akrotiri, Cyprus carried supplies to British troops in Lebanon
- 1986 - Present - 7 Squadron undertook many operations in Northern Ireland
- December 1988 - A pair of 7 Squadron Chinooks assisted Scottish authorities in the aftermath of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over the village of Lockerbie.
- 1991 - During Desert Storm 3 SF flight Chinook HC1s, each painted with special camouflage schemes and carrying extra avionics, deployed to a forward operating base at Al Jouf, Saudi Arabia. Over the course of the war, SF flight:
- inserted SAS foot patrols into Western Iraq
- flew resupply missions in support of SAS fighting columns operating in the western Iraqi desert
- delivered an SBS sabotage team close to Baghdad in order to destroy communications cables
- once Iraqi forces had been expelled from Kuwait, SF flight flew the SBS into the capital city to secure the British Embassy (watch video)
- 1991 - 7 Squadron delivered humanitarian aid to the Kurds in Northern Iraq
- Mid 90s - 7 Squadron supported NATO humanitarian efforts in Croatia
- 1997 - 7 Squadron support the SAS on 2 separate missions to rescue imperiled British nationals in war-torn Albania
- 1997 - 7 Squadron inserted SAS teams close to Pristina for Operation Tango
- 1999 - Supported NATO operations in Kosovo
- 2000 - 7 Squadron supported the 1 PARA Battle Group during Operation Palliserin Sierra Leone. The unit would later carry the SAS, SBS and Paras into the heart of the Sierra Leone jungle during Operation Barras.
- December 2001 - the squadron flew SBS/SAS assault units onto the MV Nisha cargo ship in the English Channel
- 2001-2014 - 7 Squadron SF flight is believed to have been flying in support of UKSF in both Afghanistan and Iraq. At the present time, public domain details of any such operations are few and far between.